The Annual Midlife Crisis

Big Daddy P turned 35 last weekend.  Holy hell, his life is over.

On the eve of his 25th birthday (a decade ago), he had a certifiable quarter-life crisis.  He was all, “What have I done with my life? / Who am I? / Where am I going? / blah, blah, blah.”  I was really supportive and kind, probably because we had only been married a short time and were childless.  I had all kinds of patience for this kind of stuff back then.  I earned a bunch of wifey brownie points for my ability to understand that 25 looked like a big and important number.

In the 10 years that have followed, Big Daddy P has proceeded to have a nervous breakdown before every.  single.  birthday.  “What have I done with my life? / Who am I? / Where am I going? / blah, blah, blah.”  Seriously?  He’s not even middle-aged yet!  Or is he?  Whatever.  If 40 is the new 30, then 35 is the new 25…oh yeah, 25.  Damn.

What is he even talking about anyway?  He has a great job, he’s in the best shape of his life (jerk) and he’s married to me!  I mean, come on already!

Am I supposed to indulge this birthday crisis thing for the next 50 years?  Because honestly, he’s lucky if he can get a, “You do this every year, can you get that booger out of BooBoo’s nose?” outta me.

So Big Daddy P’s life is over until he comes to terms with 35 and then his life will be over as he approaches 36.

Maybe I just don’t understand because I haven’t experienced a birthday nervous breakdown yet.  I suppose it’s only a matter of time until I go all cougar-crazy and start flashing truckers.

Anyone out there have experience with premature or mature midlife crisis?

About these ads

Comments

1. 35!?! Oh no! ;) I hope he had a great day…until next year…

2. Think of it this way: he’s having the breakdown so that you don’t have to. Sometimes couples share responsibilities, and sometimes we divide them up. DH and I each take care of different bills: I get the mortgage and he does cable and power, etc. I do the dishes (including baby bottles) and he does the garbage (including dirty diapers). It all gets done in the end. Well, mostly.

3. Mommyfriend says:

Betsy, I’m on it.  He’s joining!!!

4. Mommyfriend says:

Our men, we gotta love ‘em (and then ignore ‘em) .

5. Mommyfriend says:

Hee hee LaRee!  You are all kinds of beautiful inside and out.

6. Mommyfriend says:

Patsy, if I even looked as good as you as I approached 40, I’d be shouting from the rooftops.  You look slammin’!

7. Mommyfriend says:

I was the same way, totally excited about 30 but when it arrived I was a little unsure.  I’m rather digging my 30’s now, are you?

8. Mommyfriend says:

Yes my friend, every year LOL!  Some years are harder than others for him but it’s seriously comical at this point!  I know he realizes what he’s got he’s just got some big dreams

9. Mommyfriend says:

Brandi, I can’t take it personally after all these years.  I know it’s his journey, he’s got big hopes and dreams and more than anything I wish he’s go easier on himself!  Ah yes, the sensitive man…that’s a whole ‘nother Oprah LOL!

10. Daddy P.,You need to join the Zen Mama Challenge and learn to let go… and you’re more than 10 years younger than me!

11. I think it just has to do with men simply being worse than women when they’re getting old-er ;) my hubs is turning 36, I know all about the birthday trauma “Omg I’ll be 40 soon!!” good god get a grip guys! LOL

I’ll be 30 in the summer – my adult life has just begun :-) Great post & don’t sweat his dramatic birthday fears, I think they all do it LOL

12. I don’t know… I’m kinda with Big Daddy P. This ageing thing is quite painful.

13. lol…..He’s funny and so are you. I freaked when I turned 29. I hated it. Hated turning 30. When my sis and bro turned 30 it was flashback to mine. Now 40 is just around the corner and….well…….. ahhhhhh!!!!

14. I actually surprised myself. Once I turned 29, I was excited at the prospect of turning 30. I couldn’t wait to celebrate BIG and embrace it. However, the closer and closer it got, it affected me more and more. I was actually having anxiety about it. It was crazy. That was August 2010. I’m over it now, but don’t know, it was just somewhat uncontrollable.

15. Really? Every year?
    Eventually it’ll get better! Especially when he realizes that he has an awesome family, friends, and job!

16. I think people who feel this way are unhappy with something that they maybe can’t even put into words. I have felt this way at times. My 35th is in a couple of weeks and it doesn’t seem to be bothering me as much as 34. Go easy on him but don’t let him be a baby about it and don’t take it personally. Guys are too freaking sensitive if you ask me.Why are woman always looking for a “sensitive” guy? If I could go back in time I would strike that from the list of desireable man qualities, LOL!